A brief insight into the adventure that is my life.

Friday, June 16, 2006

A Problem Seen is a Task Assigned

I had another conversation today about the poverty in Brazil. I was riding in the car with Oliani (he is in one of the pictures from the post two days ago), and we drove past a 'favela.' A favela is basically a very poor village consisting of houses that are made with scrap plywood. Anyway, driving past the favela sparked a conversation about the gap between the rich and the poor in Brasil. (There is a middle class, but it's very small.) Once again, it became apparent to me that the cycle of poverty that many Brazilians are trapped in is a problem that is recognized by everyone. Yet, no one really knows what to specifically do about it. I started to wonder to myself if there is anything I can do to help. Is it possible that I can make a difference? I guess the answer to that question is yes, but I am like everyone else in the fact that I don't really know what action to take. I don't want to ignore the problem and passively continue with my life, but unfortuneately I will go to bed tonight still wondering what I should do to help.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chadventure said...

sell all your things. move to brazil. live and be Christ for the people.

3:54 AM

 
Blogger S. Carter said...

bowman, it's creeping in, this love for Brasil, the rest of us knew that once you went, you would feel it hardcore. I am so thankful that you are posting on here and your pictures have been first class! I am proud to say that my friend can take photos like that.

I have also followed suit and started a blog about my summer experiences. It is a completely photo blog and I will be posting my work there all summer so feel free to visit or link:
http://campsonshinelense.blogspot.com

Te amo! Feijao

11:08 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home