A brief insight into the adventure that is my life.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

An International Experience, But Not Quite So Brazilian

As I was leaving work at SBT today, I started to wonder what I was going to write about tonight. Today work wasn’t the most exciting thing that ever happened, because the Supernanny production team is not very busy this week.

It was on the way home that I found my story for today. We stopped at a Japanese restaurant for dinner, and I was presented with the opportunity to experience sushi for my first time ever. I have a little book that I received from the Health Department before leaving for Brazil; this little book advises me not to eat anything that hasn’t been cooked. I chose to forget about this advice for the time being.

Brazil, as I’m told, has better sushi than the United States. There is a very large Japanese population in Brazil, so apparently the sushi is more authentic. I’ve been meaning to try sushi for a while now, but until tonight I hadn’t gotten around to it. I was kind of expecting not to like the taste…it is raw fish, after all. I was surprised to find that it was quite delicious. Apparently, being able to say you had sushi is not the only reason to eat sushi.



In the restaurant, there is a little conveyor belt that carries the sushi around on little plates. When you see something you like, you simply grab the plate. When you’re done, a waiter counts your plates, and you pay according to what color each plate was. I remember, from my mom’s trip abroad, that this is how a lot of sushi restaurants in Japan operate. It’s kind of a nifty process, if you ask me.



After the meal, Oliani, Rebecca, and I stopped outside the restaurant to pose for a quick picture. Duda ate with us too, but unfortunately he had to snap the picture for us. By the way, Rebecca is the person that helped me get the internship at SBT. I am so excited to be able to experience new things every day. Every experience, whether good or bad, is helping me grow. What a priviledge!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! They put the address to your blog in the church bulletin so we could keep up with you. It sounds like you are having a great time! We miss you and are praying for you! Stay safe!
In Christ,
Tiffany Faw

12:20 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Son,
My Japan Experience Gateway class is visiting your site and the kids are having a great time. Thanks so much! Love, Mom

1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris your site is awesome. Your mom is very nice.
Nora Ferguson
(I'm in her Japan class)

1:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!My name is Timothy Miles.I'm one of your mother's students from her Experience Japan gateway class! First I want to know how you could deal with sushi!!!!!!!And I liked your website!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christopher!
I am more than thrilled to hear that you had a positive experience with sushi! I too just got on board the sushi train this past year, and am in love. I am actually craving the stuff right now. I wish I was able to taste Brazillian Japanese sushi, but I'll just have to be content with our American Japanese sushi! :) Love you bro!

10:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, chris! wow you have lots of SUSHI lovers!
hey, when you come back, we should have Sushi party! I know some people don't like raw fish and here in Lynchburg is hard to get good raw fish.
BUT I still can make, California Roll, Eel roll, Tempra shrimp roll, PHilladelrhia roll, or other Japanese food! I am japanese, so we should have party! Welcome back party for Chris Bowman!!!
Let me know when a good time for you and maybe this is good for your mom's class too!
Everyone is invited and of course everyone have to use chopsticks to eat!!!! :-)

Have a great time!!!!

9:54 AM

 
Blogger chrisTopher b. said...

I´m guessing that last comment was from Ena, because I don´t think there are any other Japanese people that know me well enough to invite me to a Japanese food party:)...which by the way, sounds like a great idea to me! I doubt my mom´s class will be able to come, since Lynchburg is roughly an hour from Franklin County, but maybe so. We´ll have to plan a time soon after I get back, I know a few people at Liberty who would definitely be up for some Japanese food! Thanks Ena!

6:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home